This is one of my favourite recipes. My kids love it too!
They are quite convinced that I make it just so I can say, “Jambalaya’s ready”! Such a fun word.
(photo credit: oxygenmag.com)
Quinoa Jambalaya (adapted from Oxygen Magazine)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 package turkey sausage (cooked and sliced)
1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 19 oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
1/4-1/2 lb frozen, cooked shrimp (thawed)
1 green onion, chopped
1 tsp. Cajun spice (or more, to taste)
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in skillet. Add the onion, zucchini, peppers and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add cooked sausage and quinoa, tossing to coat.
- Add broth and fire-roasted tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp, Cajun spice, cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let stand for 5 – 10 minutes. Top with green onions, freshly ground black pepper and serve. “Jambalaya’s Ready!”
Yours in good health,