April showers bring May flowers… and BLUEBERRIES! These blueberry filled squares are delicious, and pack a healthful punch! Who knew that a little lemon zest could wake up the taste buds in such a delightful way – and good for digestion too! This recipe is adapted from Food Matters, where they use Quinoa flakes instead of oatmeal.
BLUEBERRY LEMON OAT SQUARES
- 2 cups (200g) Oatmeal
- ½ cup (70g) light spelt flour
- ½ cup (45g) shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup (80ml) virgin coconut oil
- ½ – 2/3 cup (125ml-160ml) runny honey
- 3 large free-range eggs
- the finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup (125g) blueberries, fresh or locally grown frozen ones
- Preheat oven to 160C/ 320F. Line a square cake pan with baking paper, extending up and over the sides by a centimeter or two.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well.
- Heat coconut oil and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until melted.
- Pour into dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add eggs and zest and mix well.
- Fold through blueberries at the last second then transfer mixture to the baking pan, pressing down with the back of a spoon to even it out.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until golden around the edges and firm to the touch in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool before slicing.
Will store airtight for 2-3 days, or in the fridge for longer.
Yours in good health,